Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 21

 


Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 21

A STANDARD SYSTEM FOR INVESTIGATING AND CLASSIFYING VIOLENT CRIMES

SECOND EDITION

John E. Douglas, Ann W. Burgess, Allen G. Burgess, and Robert K. Ressler, Editors

 

Analysis. Analysis of the data is imperative to complete the preparatory process. Law enforcement must do more than merely see that each criminal element is intact. Professionalism requires organizing and dissecting the information, thereby observing the complex web of interrelated components of the crime. For example, I may “see” a set of stairs before me; however, I “observe” that there are exactly sixteen steps covered with a distinctive color and quality of carpet. In addition, the carpet is soiled and cluttered with specific toys and items of clothing, suggesting the presence of children of corresponding ages. The condition of the carpet and disarray of clothing and toys may also suggest the house-cleaning habits of the owners and even imply an economic and social stratum. It is during this phase of preparation that meaning and substance are assigned to the (criminal) act and the actor. Armed with this enhanced understanding, the fourth step is applied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 17

Is the role of deviant sexual fantasy related to the types of sexual offence committed by Ted Bundy? (9)

Crime Classification Manual Part II Chapter 9 B 12