Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 11

 


Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 11

A STANDARD SYSTEM FOR INVESTIGATING AND CLASSIFYING VIOLENT CRIMES

SECOND EDITION

John E. Douglas, Ann W. Burgess, Allen G. Burgess, and Robert K. Ressler, Editors

 

Criminal Act Requirements

There are several factors that need to be addressed to determine whether in fact what happened was a crime. These are termed criminal act requirements.

Actus Reus. Before a person may be convicted and punished for a crime, the prosecution must present evidence that the person (acting as a principal, accessory, or accomplice) committed a criminal act as defined by statute. Each element of the crime prescribed by law must be present in the offender’s actions to duly constitute a criminal offense. This principle is referred to as actus reus. It is the first condition required to label an act a crime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 17

Is the role of deviant sexual fantasy related to the types of sexual offence committed by Ted Bundy? (9)

Crime Classification Manual Part II Chapter 9 B 12