Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 16

 


Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 16

A STANDARD SYSTEM FOR INVESTIGATING AND CLASSIFYING VIOLENT CRIMES

SECOND EDITION

John E. Douglas, Ann W. Burgess, Allen G. Burgess, and Robert K. Ressler, Editors

 

Criminal Intent

To comprehensively understand the act, the criminal mind must be unraveled. This issue is especially significant when a crime is classified by various degrees of seriousness depending on the defendant’s state of mind. Not only must the confession reflect that the defendant did something “bad,” but also it must show that he had a “bad” intent. This distinction is especially useful for the prosecution when it is essential to determine the level of seriousness of the crime and its associated degree of punishment. Moreover, it may also be considered when assessing the predictability of the defendant’s propensity toward violence and potential for recidivism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crime Classification Manual Part I Chapter 3 17

Is the role of deviant sexual fantasy related to the types of sexual offence committed by Ted Bundy? (9)

Crime Classification Manual Part II Chapter 9 B 12